We have a specialist Women’s and Men’s Health Physiotherapy service at both our London and Berkshire Clinics. Women's Health Physiotherapy focuses on issues related to Obstetrics and Gynaecology including pregnancy related musculoskeletal pain, recovery following gynaecological surgery, bladder or bowel incontinence and pelvic organ prolapse.
Problems associated with pelvic floor dysfunction are very common and poorly managed. For instance, research shows that 40% of women have continence issues. It also shows that over 70% of women with symptoms of mild urinary incontinence are CURED with women's health Physiotherapy.
If you have experienced one or more of the following then it is likely that you would benefit greatly from women’s health physiotherapy:
- Leaking on cough/sneeze/exercise: This happens when there is repeated increase in intra-abdominal pressure that proves greater than the resistance of the pelvic floor. For this reason there is a HIGHER INCIDENCE IN HIGH LEVEL ATHLETES.
- Increased urge/frequency to go to the toilet.
- Prolapse: Can arise when descent of the pelvic organs and a weak pelvic floor are left untreated.
- Anti/Post-Natal musculoskeletal pain.
- Pelvic Pain.
- Problems with Sexual Function.
- Pre/Post Gynae Surgery.
- If you do have symptoms then trying to heal yourself with exercise is often ineffective and can even make your symptoms worse if you are putting additional strain through the pelvic floor.
Post Natal Check-Up
“It’s Been Months Now - So Why am I STILL Suffering With an Injury That’s Stopping Me From Being Active and Playing My Favourite Sport?”...
As women’s health specialists we help support the recovery from the physical changes that happen during pregnancy and after the birth. New mums will benefit from an appointment at 6 weeks to FULLY SCREEN any physical or postural issues and check that the pelvic floor muscles are starting to function normally again. We then guide you in the exercises that will speed your healing and focus on your individual needs to help you to EXERCISE SAFELY.
If you have any questions about whether Women’s Health Physiotherapy can benefit you then please call to speak to one of our Women’s Health Specialists who will be able to help.